It’s not much more than six months since WHEN ALI CAME TO
IRELAND first previewed in the IFI and then screened on RTE One but so much
good stuff has happened since then. This film was such a pleasure to make and
the reaction of people to the screenings has been phenomenal. It’s a bit of a
cliché but we really do feel lucky to have made it. Tuesday, August 13, 2013
WHEN ALI CAME TO IRELAND - what happened next?
It’s not much more than six months since WHEN ALI CAME TO
IRELAND first previewed in the IFI and then screened on RTE One but so much
good stuff has happened since then. This film was such a pleasure to make and
the reaction of people to the screenings has been phenomenal. It’s a bit of a
cliché but we really do feel lucky to have made it. Friday, April 26, 2013
THE POWER OF THE PROMO
It was amazingly well attended and when the gathered crowd was asked to
raise their hands if they had made a documentary, most people raised their
hand. It was great to see so many people were out and about making stuff. The
next question was something like, ‘how many of you have been funded to make
your documentaries?’ and in response to that I think there was just one hand
raised.Friday, April 5, 2013
Making 'THE GAMBLER' Documentary
Thursday, March 7, 2013
THE ROUGH CUT STAGE
(photo courtesy of Fionnuala Ni Chiobhain)
Wednesday, February 6, 2013
Digital Biscuit Review
Saturday, January 26, 2013
NEWSTALK PANEL
Avery Brundage was the head of US Olympic Sport who insisted on America attending the 1936 games where Owens' excelled. Brundage then withdrew two Jewish athletes from the US 100m Relay Team so as not to embarrass Hitler. Brundage always said that sport and politics should be kept separate.
Brundage was the man who banned Owens in the aftermath of the 1936 games.
Sport and politics must be kept separate, said Brundage.
I admire Kevin Prince Boateng for standing up to racists and I think footballers can be leaders in fighting racism and homophobia in society. They will no doubt be criticised by their contemporaries but perhaps some time in the future their actions will be acknowledged for having an impact. Today’s sportspeople might not have as many influential forerunners as Ali did but maybe they can look at the legend of Ali himself and take inspiration.
Wednesday, November 21, 2012
GOOD HOME TURF NEWS
We had some good news there a couple of weeks ago:Home Turf won Best Short Documentary a the Kerry Film Festival!
We were delighted because we made a Kerry film - shot in Kerry, featuring Kerry people and produced by a Kerrywoman.
Our poster pic (above) even features a picture of a Kerryman - Aideen's dad... Mr. O'Sullivan.
We're really happy that the film is connecting. It's a simple film about cutting turf but we feel there are also a few more layers to it.
The juxtaposition of hand turf-cutting and machine methods visually tell the story of progress and we think, too, that the film reveals a certain type of masculinity that deserves celebration but is perhaps often overlooked.
With winter coming, the film really makes me long for a good turf fire. And a nice cup of tea!
More info on the film here:
http://www.hometurffilm.com/
LOOKING BACK AT THE BAILOUT
Sunday, October 7, 2012
EXCITING TIMES

In the last month or so there has been a flurry of activity. First, I was delighted to programme the IFI Dublin Documentary Festival, Stranger Than Fiction, which was opened by the sensational THE IMPOSTER. Director Bart Layton joined for a post film Q&A and he turned out to be a very sound man - staying until late as audience-members quizzed him about the film well into the night.
HOME TURF won the 'Man and Nature' award at Film Festival Della Lessinia in Italy and then screened again in Los Angeles last week.
LINK: http://www.iftn.ie/news/?act1=record&aid=73&rid=4285271&tpl=archnews&only=1
At the same time, BYE BYE NOW has had a bit of a revival and had its Irish television premiere on RTE. A week later it was selected to represent Ireland at the EU Film Festival in China where one film from each EU film will be screened.
LINK: http://www.thejournal.ie/video-film-disappearance-public-phoneboxes-ireland-620475-Oct2012/?utm_source=twitter_self
With all of the interest, we decided to put BYE BYE NOW up on YouTube:
LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agRwRf6JoyE&feature=player_embedded
SAVIOURS - a blast from the past - has been invited to screen at a film festival in Madison, USA and BLIND MAN WALKING might also be going stateside with a screening in New York for an event Mark Pollock, the film's star man, will be speaking at.
We've been busy this week working on the next film. The story of how Muhammad Ali came to fight in Ireland. The idea is to get it done for broadcast before Christmas. Wish us luck!
Thursday, June 14, 2012
Recent Work
For now, here is some of the stuff I've been working on recently...
THE BAILOUT
A Primetime Special for RTE that explores how Ireland lost its economic sovereignty.
http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2011/1128/primetimespecial.html#
HOME TURF
A documentary for the Irish Film Board about the dying tradition of cutting turf by hand in rural Ireland. After debuting in Cork, the film recently had its International Premiere at Hot Docs, screened at Krakow and will soon have its US Premiere at the AFI Discovery Channel Silverdocs Documentary Festival.
www.hometurffilm.com
BYE BYE NOW
The little film that could, continues to be invited to screen all over the world after touring festivals successfully for the last two years or so, including winning at Silverdocs, Nashville and elsewhere.
www.byebyenowfilm.com
Wednesday, July 6, 2011
Film Ireland Galway Edition Editorial
It seems this industry of ours is rarely out of the news. Recent articles in major media both question and justify the continued support for Irish film by the public purse. The relevance and importance of Irish films differs depending what newspaper you pick up and with the economy continuing to struggle the pressure is increasingly on the film community to prove the investment is good value.
The argument put forward so often is that there was a type of Golden Age of Irish film in the early 1990s when films like My Left Foot and The Crying Game were winning Oscars and competing at the very highest level in the worldwide film industry. The same questions are asked time and time again. Where are the new Neil Jordans and Jim Sheridans? Why are filmmakers no longer punching above their weight in the way that actors and authors do? And, what is the point of investing in Irish film if it doesn’t compete at the highest level?
So how can we provide value for money, for this investment that the Irish public, via the goverment, passes to us?
It would be wonderful to turn a profit but that’s difficult in a world where more films than ever are being released and the bulk of the audience veer more towards blockbuster fayre and away from the kind of personal, complex tales that we tell best. And, anyway, even for the most famous filmmakers, profit can be elusive – there is no magic formula and the competition is fierce. Some say we should make bigger films so that we can ‘compete’ but what if they don’t succeed? Bigger failures are not something to aspire to.
All that we can offer financially is that we are doing our best. We will, as much as is humanly possible, sell our films, distribute them, convince people of their worth and return what we can to the pot. And we will push our films to the four corners of the globe in the hope that we can sell some kind of idea of Ireland and hope that somehow this feeds back into the exchequer in tourist dollars.
What can the Film Board do?
They can develop numerous talented, diverse voices that represent the full variety of Irish experience, they can investigate appropriate distribution strategies that give small films a chance of connecting with the right audience and they can seek out international partnerships that bring more money into Irish film and give our films more chance of spreading.
It seems to me that this is exactly what they are doing. At this transitional time in Irish film they deserve some credit for that.
Some of that talent that has come through recently is already punching above its weight, winning awards at major festvals and putting bums on seats in cinemas. Sweeping cuts would stunt the growth of the emerging filmmakers that might just be the next Neil Jordan. It’s easy to forget that The Crying Game was Jordan’s eighth film. Instead of looking backwards, let’s look forward to increasingly skilled filmmakers making more and better films of value and some that turn a profit.
Irish film does its best to represent those who fund it and it seems to me that films like Once, Kisses and His & Hers do that very well. This magazine will launch at on of the world’s great festivals, the Galway Film Fleadh, a traditional birthing place for new Irish films. Keep an eye out, you might just get a glimpse of the future.
Tuesday, April 19, 2011
Film Ireland Cannes Issue
When One hundred Mornings is shortly released, audiences will no doubt be wowed by the wonderful performances, the stunning photogphy and the subtle direction.
They won’t, for a moment, think about the budget. The film was originated under the Catalyst Scheme and was thus made for limited funds. Yet, it is good enough to stand beside any quality film out there. And it has – at festivals around the world and on release in the United States.
A couple of years ago at an Irish Film Board panel, one of the panellists was asked what had happened to the Micro Budget Scheme. The answer, only partially in jest, was that almost all of the films made here could be considered very low budget, so perhaps there was no need for a specific scheme.
I think we can sometimes get hung up on budgets but when a film like One Hundred Mornings, or His & Hers or The Fading Light comes along, we are reminded that films can be great films regardless of budget.
His & Hers, in particular was a fantastic example. I’ve heard many in the film community marvel at the limited budget and the impressive box office return but when I went to see it in the cinema, I only heard the audience chat about the humour, charm and emotion as they left the theatre.
These films are stand alone works of art and storytelling and I think we in the filmmaking community, in these times more than ever, need to spend our time focussing on our creative vision and making daring, innovative films that surprise and delight audiences.
And when remarkable films come along, let us in the community support them and celebrate them. We should tell our friends and drag them along. If we don’t support these films, then who will? If we don’t support them, then we can’t expect others to support ours!
As the summer approaches, Europe’s greatest film festival looms on the horizon and some wonderful Irish filmmakers will be bringing their films there and we wish them well. In this issue, we have Cannes and Irish filmmaking at the front of our minds.
We talk to Ireland’s Cultural ambassador, Gabriel Byrne, about his visions for Irish film and the upcoming season at MOMA in New York. We have an interview with the legendary French filmmaker Agnes Varda who recently attended the Cork French Film Festival and we look at ways in which Irish and French filmmaking talent have intersected on film projects.
I hope you enjoy the issue and, as always, keep in touch. If you have something to say, let us know, we have a Sounding Off section after all!
Thursday, August 19, 2010
HOW TO MAKE AN EPIC DOCUMENTARY FOR 25K
Well, first things first: if you want to make money, go into sales. If you put your head down and push yourself you can really make a good living.
You’ll probably even get a free car if you’re on the road and each year a few weeks paid holidays.
If you want to make documentaries, you probably won’t have any of those things. Not for the first few years anyway.
When I started out, I tried hard to get a project commissioned. I submitted scripts to all of the normal funding rounds and documentary proposals through established production companies to broadcasters. It seemed to be one rejection after another.
Before long, I couldn’t hold myself back any longer. I got a loan, bought a camera and started filming. The idea was to make films and sell the finished work to broadcasters afterwards. The revenue from selling the first film would fund the next and so on. It was a great plan. But then I learned nobody wanted my early work and even if you could sell the films it wouldn’t be for much.
A few years on and things have changed. A little. With a few documentaries in the bag, it’s slightly easier to get an audience with commissioning editors but that doesn’t mean they’ll fund you.
Still, when Mark Pollock asked me if I’d be interested in making a documentary about him, I knew we had a task on our hands. I always felt that Mark’s story was fascinating. He lost his sight at the age of 22 but refused to let it ruin his life.
He created a niche for himself doing adventure challenges and giving motivational talks to businesses. Then on the tenth anniversary of losing his sight, he came up with an adventure challenge far beyond anything he’d done before.
He wanted to prepare for and take on one of the hardest races on earth. Like Scott and Amundsen almost 100 years earlier, he was racing to the South Pole.
From my point of view it would be a challenge too. To do it right, filming should take place for nine months before departure and for close to two months in Antarctica. Anyone I asked suggested that I’d need a huge support crew in Antarctica and the race organisers told me that it would cost EUR50k per person traveling – and that’s before you paid the crew!
Then I got sick. Without getting into the details, it soon became clear that it probably wouldn’t be a good idea for me to travel. And the EUR300k budget wasn’t exactly prompting commissioning editors to reach for their chequebooks.
So we created a Plan B. Rather than spending my time searching for funding, I spent it filming the preparations. I contacted the race organisers and a Norwegian crew that would be following the race and they agreed to help me out with footage. Mark’s teammates would film as much as they could during the race and we’d figure out a way of putting it all together when they got back. It would still be a great story, even if this wasn’t the ideal way of telling it.
When they returned from Antarctica I was almost afraid to look at the footage. And when I did, I found a mixed bag. There was some ropey stuff but, thankfully, there was some amazing stuff too. The video diary feel to the footage captured in the tent felt really immediate and powerful. There was definitely something there.
A few months later, I had a meeting with Mairead NiNuadhain in RTE Diversity about the possibility of completion funding and she agreed to try to help. A little while later, I got a call from a nice man in RTE’s finance division, who wanted to go through my budget, line by line. “Does this,” I asked him, “mean the project is financed?”
It did.
So, after filming for nine months in Ireland, making agreements with other film crews, putting a camera in the hands of adventure athletes with little idea what would happen, praying that funding would come through and numerous weeks editing, we have a completed documentary about the first blind man to race to the South Pole. It’s an epic, of sorts, and it cost just EUR25k.
Now, where can I get a job in sales?






